Democracy is the prerequisite for the development of individual people and the nation in general. Democracy is the ruling system of the people, for the people, and by the people. Political parties are the pillars of multipart democracy who have a great responsibility in ensuring a strong foundation of the political system. It is the political party chosen by the people to make sure that people's and nation's problems are addressed properly and to keep the national integrity intact. This means that the political system functions in such a way that people find themselves sufficiently represented by the system and that they are able to effect peaceful changes in the system by means of elections.
The roles of political parties can be summarized in the points below:
- They contest elections in order to maintain the integrity of the people, nation, and the constitution.
- They introduce various policies and programs for the people.
- They play an important role in decision-making to legislate and execute.
- These parties, when successful in elections, form and run the government.
- These parties, if they lose, become the opposition parties and play the role of criticizing the government.
- The parties mold the public’s opinion on various issues. They can help them form an opinion and can also influence them to alter their opinion.
- These parties help the citizenry to access the government’s policies and acts.
Find further reading on the question: Meaning of Competitive Multiparty ruling system