Mass movement II
The king Gyanendra seized all the state power and started direct rule in the country on 19th Magh, 2061. He also imposed ban on some main fundamental rights and freedom of the people. Seven parties decided to revolt against the regressive step of the king in the indirect support of CPN. The people's movement-II started from 24th Chaitra,2062 and succeeded after 19 days on 11th Baisakh, 2063. King Gyanendra announced that he had returned the rights and freedom of the people which he had snatched through his direct rule. 25 people got martyrdom while hundreds of others were injured and crippled in the course of this 19 days movement.
- To know the background how King Gyanendra seized the state power.
- To get information about the contribution made by different sectors to end monarchy and establish republic in the country.
- To get information regarding the end of Maoist armed revolution and beginning of peace process.
- Then king Gyanendra had started his direct rule by seizing all the state power on 19th Magh, 2061. King had dissolved the government of prime minister Sher bahadur deuba, detained many political leaders and formed council of ministers in his own chairmanship. After he banned on the main fundamental rights an freedom, SPA and CPN were ready to launch movement together against the king.
- After the success of people's movement II, King returned the state authority and sovereignty to the people. Slogans against the monarchy started getting echoed after it. The first meeting of the elected constituent assembly declared Nepal as a federal democratic state.
- Comprehensive peace accord was signed on 5th mangsir 2063 after the success of mass movement II. CPN had declared the formal end of decade long term armed revolution and committed for peaceful politics after the meeting.
Conclusion and suggestion:
The history has proved that the Nepalese people have participated in movement for three times i.e in 2007, 2046, 2062/63. It is not good to indulge the people to sacrifice their life for the same objective time and again. Special attention needs to be paid for institutionalization of Loktantra as well as republic through political stability, corruption control, peace and security etc. There needs to be strong commitment, feeling of responsibility, mutual understanding and cooperation among the political parties for these people.