This programme started in 1999 A.D. at this Faculty. There are nine universities in the country but no other universities except this Faculty offer PhD programmes in law. To date, a total of 108 researchers/students have enrolled in Ph. D programme and 37 students have been awarded PhD Degree from this Faculty by March 2021.
Tribhuvan University (T.U.) was established in 1959 AD. The Faculty of Law is one of the oldest faculties of T.U. which was established in 1959 AD as an Institute of Law. However, the Law College was established in 1954 AD with offering LL.B courses with an affiliation to the Patna University of India. In 1972, the Institute of Law prepared a 2 years comprehensive curriculum for Certificate Level (CL) and 3 years curriculum for Diploma in Law (D.L.). After the establishment of T.U., the Law College came under the T.U. The Institute of Law was renamed the Faculty of Law in 1974 AD.
The Faculty of Law, T.U. has the following basic objective:
- to produce human resources equipped with the necessary skill, competency, and integrity
- to impart a sense of responsibility towards society, nation, and the world;
- to develop a base of legal excellence with international and indigenous understanding;
- to promote research and understand insights of law and society;
- to prepare competent human resources in the field of law and justice.